Carson Collins (b. 1953) is the November 2007 Artist of the Month.
Carson was born in Oklahoma and raised and home schooled in the techniques of painting in Florida.
He received a B.A. in psychology and chemistry at the University of South Florida at Tampa in 1973
and an M.D. from the University of Texas at Galveston in 1977.
A passionate traveler, he has painted in Mauritius, the Stockholm Archipelago, St. Barthelemy, Honolulu, Manhattan and Costa Rica.
He works in studios where the dominant light source comes from the west.
Carson's life work, The Ocean Series, is a post modern response to the color field paintings of Mark Rothko.
Intriguing, relaxing, and evocative, these richly colored and detailed images are minimalist in composition and appeal to serious art lovers, those who meditate, and ocean lovers.
The subject of The Ocean Series is the four elements -- earth, air, fire, and water -- in their most majestic setting: the shoreline. They are seascapes with a western horizon, an ancient and universal meditation on a setting sun; incantations to an idealized father descending below the horizon, or body, of an equally idealized mother.
Abstracted as a circle within a square, the sun is never seen as such in the paintings but implied through the reflection of sky into ocean.
The horizon is the base of the square, the top edge of the canvas being the upper edge, the right and left vertical edges completing it.
The transcendental nature of the intense colors at sunset, due to the acute angle of the sun
and the ocean as the source of all rivers is a metaphor of death and reincarnation.
They are a monument to something that is already, forever, lost.
New Artwork in the Galleries
Derek McCrea, Nicholas Caputi, Nirvana Blues and Ernesto Silva have added new artwork to their galleries.
New Contemporary Artists
The following artists registered since September 23. To view the work of an
artist enter the artist's name at http://DigitalConsciousness.com
To see these most recent artists go to http://DigitalConsciousness.com/new/
Southern California Art Walks and Studio Tours
- Senthil Nathan. Spiritual calligraphy from India.
- Telmo Mota. Warm shape sculpture from Portugal.
- Michael Miller. Reference object sculpture.
- Rajiv Vyas. Singer from India.
- Bui Xuan Phai (1920-1988). Landscapes from Vietnam.
- Eduard Manukyan. Ethnic Artistic still life.
- Dick D’Agostino. Stylized fish and flowers.
- Garima Gupta. Fantasy oils from India.
- Heinrich Gustav. Architectural painting from Japan.
- Hans Holtkamp. Realistic figure sculpture from Canada.
- Shivaji Shet. Realistic landscapes from India.
- Mark Fischer. Voice prints of whales and other animals.
- Eveliene Deraedt. Fashion photography from Belgium.
- Jose Carvalhosa. Realistic drawings from Portugal.
- Sergio Manzari. Spiritual paintings done by candlelight.
- Richard Misiano-Genovese. Innovative collage.
- Nestor Patialiakas. Byzantine and religious egg tempera from Greece.
- Raymond Marsh. Money and currency themes from Australia.
- Debi Ireland McSwain. vibrant thick textured florals and animals.
- George Calle. Surplus metal sculpture from Canada.
Monthly Art Walks
Other Art Walks and Open Studio Tours
- Nov 1, 2007 Santa Barbara Art Walk (1st Thursday)
- Nov 1, 2007 Laguna Beach First Thursdays Art Walk
- Nov 1, 2007 1st Thursday Downtown San Pedro
- Nov 1, 2007 Art on the Avenues, West Hollywood (1st Thursday)
- Nov 2, 2007 First Fridays Ventura
- Nov 3, 2007 Santa Ana Artists Village Open House (1st Saturday)
- Nov 8, 2007 Downtown L.A. Artwalk (2nd Thursday)
- Nov 10, 2007 NE L.A. Art Walk (2nd Saturday)
- Nov 10, 2007 Pomona Art Walk (2nd Saturday)
- Nov 17, 2007 Miracle Mile Art Walk (3rd Saturday)
- Nov 3, 2007 Ventura ArtWalk
- Nov 3-4, 2007 Silver Lake Open Studio Tour
- Nov 3-4, 2007 Santa Monica Art Studios Open Studio Tour
- Nov 18, 2007 Arroyo Arts Collective Discovery Tour ($11)
Ad-free Galleries With No Commission.
Artists with Digital Consciousness Gallery Service can create and edit on-line galleries from a control panel.
These galleries contain no ads and are among the most prominent pages on Digital Consciousness.
Artists may sell artwork from their galleries free of commission.
Gallery Service requires registration and $30 a year.
Registration is free and registered artists may create an Artist Page without purchasing Gallery Service.
Registered Artists can use the Edit link at the bottom of their Artist Page to edit their Artist Page or to upgrade to Gallery Service.
The Digital Color Art Awards.
Digital Color http://RenownedArt.com/digitalcolor accepts nominations
for art awards. The winner's biography and links to the winner's
artwork are placed in the permanent gallery. Gallery Service fees are
waived for winners for one year.