Laura Perry-Eklund is the August 2008 Digital Color Artist of the Month. Laura is an abstract artist from Olive Hill, Kentucky. Growing up in the heart of Appalachia she understands that happiness comes from the simple, natural things in life. Her interests have always been in the natural world, art and psychic phenomena from which she summons artistic visions.
Her creations are outbursts from these visions. She has to feel completely free from everything to create and so, during several periods in her life has lived in isolation. She paints using the skills and knowledge of a trained artist. She pulls the paint and color into the composition to achieve unity. The paint will do what she wants it to do.
New Contemporary Artists and Galleries
The following artists registered in the last month. To view the work of an
artist enter the artist's name at http://DigitalConsciousness.com
To see these most recent artists go to http://DigitalConsciousness.com/new/
Nicholas Capote has added new artwork to his galleries. http://DigitalConsciousness.com/gallerylist.phtml
- Jean Francois Muller. Haitian influenced landscape abstracts.
- Lara Agnes Szabo. Harpist from Hungary
- Bryan Crump. Magazine cover photography.
- Ana Maria Barbos. Plastic artist from Romania who creates colorful landscape themes.
- Stefania Vassura. Photography from Italy.
- Miro Gabriele. Ecology photography from Italy.
- Paola González Muñoz. Expressionistic mixed media from Mexico.
- John Lathram. The transhumanist experience.
- S. Shatrughan Gupta. Impressionistic cityscapes from India.
- Zaher El-Bizri. Plastic and watercolor artist influenced by the medieval quarters of the ancient Lebanese port city of Sidon.
- Joseph Gooders. Abstract light and color photography from the UK.
- Moses Masoko. Picasso influenced watercolors from South Africa.
Glow Dusk to Dawn
On July 19 a huge crowd turned out to view art installations in Santa Monica. Among them, seemingly breathing constructions from Shih Chieh Huang. His works, about a dozen of them, each about the size of a person, dangled above the path under the pier. They incorporated plastic bags and fans that turned on and off so that the sculptures expanded and contracted to glowing illumination. Look for Glow 2009 and for more immediate Southern California Art Walks, Open Studio Tours, & Art Festivals on the Art Calendar.
First Friday Vegas
On the First Friday of most months, galleries in the Art District in Las Vegas, just North of the Strip, host receptions for their artists. Free trollies run between The Arts Factory, the center of it all, the Commerce Street Studios and other points.
Guardian of Eden
Following its debut at the 2007 Burning Man festival, the Nevada Museum of Art is pleased to present Guardian of Eden, a large-scale, outdoor sculpture by New York–based artist Kate Raudenbush. The intricately carved, 12-petal lotus flower spans over 19 feet in diameter and is inspired by Hindu and Egyptian creation myths, Buddhist symbolism, and the ancient symbol of the Flower of Life. http://www.nevadaart.org/exhibitions/exhibition_display.php?id=98