Re: florence biennale 2007 - Art Forum

Message #1133, a followup to #1121

Name: Shanna Galloway
Date:Monday January 7, 2008 7:07:03 pm MST
URL:http://www.shannagalloway.com
Subject:Re: florence biennale 2007
Message:A very interesting discussion has been going on among the artists from the USA as we all have each others' email addresses. There was one beautiful email, actually written in the artist's journal while in Florence. I wish I had it in front of me to quote. It referred to the layering of centuries and civilizations in Florence itself and compared that experience to the dialogue which transcended barriers of language and cultures in the Biennale itself. Most of us (I was there - my triptych of "Kinetic Studies" on the first wall on entering the exhibition hall) thought the Biennale to be wonderful. I was very much interested in seeing work from the world over and I found it very fresh and the quality very high, especially for such a large show. There were 840 artists. It was not directly about selling. It was about renewing faith in Art and in ourselves and in each other. I think that there is a change in the power structure going on. After all, we do have our web-sites and self promotion is expected. So I applaud the Celona Brothers, David Rubin, Edward Robin, and the others for providing us with this arena to put ourselves out there and if a collective or a personal re-Renaissance occurs, then how could it happen in a more appropriate place than in a fortress in Florence, where the Renaissance began.

Los Angeles

KF wrote:

This is the last message in this thread.   First   |   Previous   message in this thread

Previous thread   |   Next thread

Previous   |   Next   message by date

Help   |   Message index   |   Search

When you are caught up with the Art Forum, tap a link in the menu below:
Forums  |  Database  |  Artist List  |  Awards  |  Registration  |  Email  |  FAQ  |  Galleries  |  Directory  |  News  |  Home